All welcome. Please follow Covid-secure precautions. I look from afar, and lo!
Sunday 13th December at 6pm – delayed from normal date to allow planning & practice.
The Advent Procession is on Sunday 13th December at 6pm. Prayers, Readings, Hymns, Carols and Candles illuminate the plainsong Great O Antiphons, which we also hear in the Advent Hymn “O come, O come Emmanuel”, and culminate in a choral setting of the Magnificat. The final hymn is “Lo, he comes with clouds descending.” Please join us for this special Candlelit Service of darkness & light, mystery & beauty.
Lo! He comes in clouds descending.
This Service takes place on the 3rd Sunday of Advent to avoid clashing with the Cathedral’s similar Advent Service earlier..
SADLY NOT THIS YEAR -There will NOT be Seasonal Refreshments of mulled wine & mince pies after the Service.
In 2017 we welcomed Erika Wagstaff as Conductor and Simon Dunbavand as Organist to lead this beautiful Service. The traditional ‘Matins Responsary’, Plainsong O Antiphons and reflective a cappella motets crescendo towards the majestic ‘O Thou the Central Orb’ , Harwood in Aflat Magnificat and the final hymn ‘Lo, He comes with clouds descending’.
In 2016 the Music was:-
1. Bogoroditsye Dyevo Rejoice O Virgin Mother of God – Rachmaninov (sung in candlelight from the West End to begin the service)
2. The Angelus (church in darkness apart from choir/clergy/servers candles)
3. Matin Responsory – Palestrina (clergy process to the West End) – followed by lighting of candles
4. O come, O come Emmanuel – NEH 11 (sung by all, choir/clergy in procession)
5. The Great Advent Antiphons NEH 503 O Sapientia + reading
6. This is the truth sent from above – Ralph Vaughan Williams
7. O Adonai + reading
8. Magnificat (Pergolesi/Durante) movement 1 – Magnificat, anima mea Dominum
9. O Radix Jesse + reading
10. Magnificat movement 2 – Et misericordia
11. O Clavis David + reading
12. E’en So Lord Jesus (Manz)
13. O Oriens + reading
14. Magnificat movement 3 – Deposuit potentes
15. O Rex Gentium + reading
16. Magnificat movement 4 – Suscepit Israel
17. O Emmanuel + reading
18. Canite Tuba (Guerrero)
19. O Virgo Virginum
20. Magnificat movements 5 & 6 – Sicut locutus est; Gloria Patri
21. Hymn, final prayers/blessing, Hymn – Lo, he comes with clouds descending – NEH 9
2015 Music included:- Palestrina Matin Responsory; Bairstow Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence; Vaughan Williams The Truth from Above; Praetorius Es ist ein Ros entsprungen; Lloyd The Call; Palestrina Alma Redemptoris Mater; Guerrero Canite Tuba; Mendelssohn Im Advent; Palestrina Magnificat Primi Toni a 8
2014 music was:- Matin Responsory Palestrina; Hymn – O come, O come, Emmanuel; O sapientia Ramsey; Hymn – Come, thou long-expected Jesus; Es ist ein Rös entsprungen Praetorius; The Call Lloyd; I sing of a maiden Fraser; Hymn – Hills of the north, rejoice; And the glory of the Lord from Handel’s Messiah; Magnificat Gibbons’ Short Service; Hymn – Hark the glad sound; Hymn – Lo, he comes with clouds descending
St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Dinham Road, Mount Dinham, Exeter, EX4 4EB