The consecration of the present Exeter Cathedral took place shortly after the death of one of its most celebrated bishops.
John Grandisson was nominated as bishop on 10 August 1327 and consecrated on 18 October 1327. He died 16 July 1369. Bishop Grandisson was buried in the mortuary chapel of St Radegund (6th century Frankish noblewoman who received the Holy Cross and founded a monastery at Poitiers) on the south side of the central doorway of the west front of Exeter Cathedral. His form of Service for Christmas Eve is still in use.