The Advent Procession on Sunday 10th December at 6pm uses Prayers, Readings, Hymns, Carols and Candles to illuminate the plainsong Great O Antiphons, which we also hear in the Advent Hymn “O come, O come Emmanuel”, and culminates in a choral setting of the Magnificat. The final hymn is “Lo, he comes with clouds descending.” Please join us.
This Service takes place on the 2nd Sunday of Advent, 10th December at 6pm, to avoid clashing with the Cathedral’s similar Advent Service a week earlier..
There will be Seasonal Refreshments of mulled wine & mince pies after the Service.
For 2017 we welcome Erika Wagstaff as Conductor and Simon Dunbavand as Organist to lead us in this beautiful Service. The traditional ‘Matins Responsary’, Plainsong O Antiphons and reflective a cappella motets crescando towards the majestic ‘O Thou the Central Orb’ , Harwood in Aflat Magnificat and the final hymn ‘Lo, He comes with clouds descending’.
Competent singers are most welcome to join the choir for this service – we will practice all the music from 3.30pm with a good break before the 6pm start.
In 2016 the Music was:-
1. Bogoroditsye Dyevo Rejoice O Virgin Mother of God – Rachmaninov (sung in candlelight from the West End to begin the service)
2. The Angelus (church in darkness apart from choir/clergy/servers candles)
3. Matin Responsory – Palestrina (clergy process to the West End) – followed by lighting of candles
4. O come, O come Emmanuel – NEH 11 (sung by all, choir/clergy in procession)
5. The Great Advent Antiphons NEH 503 O Sapientia + reading
6. This is the truth sent from above – Ralph Vaughan Williams
7. O Adonai + reading
8. Magnificat (Pergolesi/Durante) movement 1 – Magnificat, anima mea Dominum
9. O Radix Jesse + reading
10. Magnificat movement 2 – Et misericordia
11. O Clavis David + reading
12. E’en So Lord Jesus (Manz)
13. O Oriens + reading
14. Magnificat movement 3 – Deposuit potentes
15. O Rex Gentium + reading
16. Magnificat movement 4 – Suscepit Israel
17. O Emmanuel + reading
18. Canite Tuba (Guerrero)
19. O Virgo Virginum
20. Magnificat movements 5 & 6 – Sicut locutus est; Gloria Patri
21. Hymn, final prayers/blessing, Hymn – Lo, he comes with clouds descending – NEH 9
2015 Music included:- Palestrina Matin Responsory; Bairstow Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence; Vaughan Williams The Truth from Above; Praetorius Es ist ein Ros entsprungen; Lloyd The Call; Palestrina Alma Redemptoris Mater; Guerrero Canite Tuba; Mendelssohn Im Advent; Palestrina Magnificat Primi Toni a 8
2014 music was:- Matin Responsory Palestrina; Hymn – O come, O come, Emmanuel; O sapientia Ramsey; Hymn – Come, thou long-expected Jesus; Es ist ein Rös entsprungen Praetorius; The Call Lloyd; I sing of a maiden Fraser; Hymn – Hills of the north, rejoice; And the glory of the Lord from Handel’s Messiah; Magnificat Gibbons’ Short Service; Hymn – Hark the glad sound; Hymn – Lo, he comes with clouds descending
St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Dinham Road, Mount Dinham, Exeter, EX4 4EB